2010-2011 Graduate Catalog 
    May 28, 2024  
2010-2011 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.

Educational Resources 

Masland Learning Resource Center

The Masland Learning Resource Center provides materials and services to students, faculty, and staff of Philadelphia Biblical University. Materials include more than 125,000 volumes of books, reference works, periodicals, and materials in other media. The Center houses special collections as well as rare books and archival materials. Two computer labs are available for use by students. A fully updated teacher education curriculum lab, two conference rooms, and a writing lab provide opportunity for students’ research and review.

Four professional librarians and other library staff are available for reference consultation, bibliographic instruction, and other assistance. A valid University ID card provides access to the library. The library catalog and on-line electronic databases can be accessed through the library’s web page (www.library.pbu.edu), which also contains important information regarding library policies, hours, and staff.


The bookstore offers students a selection of evangelical Christian publications, and serves students in the purchase of textbooks and school supplies. 

Academic Policies

Academic Load

Students in all graduate programs are classified as full time when enrolled for six (6) credit hours or more during an academic semester, except for the Master of Divinity program which requires nine (9) credit hours for full-time status. Students are classified as part time when enrolled for less than a full-time load. Students are classified as half time when enrolled in three to five (3-5) credit hours (5-8 credit hours for the M.Div. program) during an academic semester.

Academic Advising/Course Scheduling

Program chairs and enrollment counselors are available to assist students in course planning. However, it is ultimately the responsibility of the student to ensure that all course and program requirements are satisfactorily met. It is recommended that a student contact, by phone or in person, his/her enrollment counselor at least once a semester to check on his/her academic progress.

Class Attendance

Regular class attendance is essential for satisfactory academic performance. Students are responsible for class content and experiences - vital components of course work. Faculty evaluate each student’s record of attendance in determining the student’s final grade. Each student is expected to attend and be a participating member of each class session. In the event an absence is unavoidable, it is the student’s responsibility to acquire what was missed in class. The University requires attendance at a minimum of 70 percent of class sessions, whether for credit or audit. Students who do not attend 70 percent of class sessions will receive a failing grade for the course. Professors are free to set attendance requirements higher than the 70 percent established by the University. Class attendance requirements are stated in the course syllabus.


Philadelphia Biblical University follows the 4.0 grade point system and requires a 2.5 cumulative grade point average for graduation (3.0 for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs).

Grade Interpretation Grade points
per semester credit
A Outstanding 4.00
A-   3.67
B+ Above Average 3.33
B   3.00
B-   2.67
C+ Average 2.33
C   2.00
C-   1.67
D+  Below Average 1.33
D   1.00
D-   0.67
F Failing 0
I Incomplete  
CR Credit Granted  
NC No Credit  
W University withdrawal  
WF Course withdrawal while failing  
WP Course withdrawal while passing  
S Satisfactory (in non-credit courses)  
U Unsatisfactory (in non-credit courses)  
AU Audit  
WA Audit-official withdrawal  
IA Audit-insufficient attendance  
NR No grade reported  


Incomplete Grades

An incomplete grade (I) is given in unusual circumstances only. An Incomplete Grade Contract must be completed by the faculty member and signed by the student with an agreed upon deadline date. A maximum of twelve (12) weeks may be allowed for completion of course requirements. An I grade is automatically changed to an F if a new grade is not submitted by the deadline date. Removal of an I or NR (No Grade Reported) is the responsibility of the student. No student may graduate with an I or NR in any course.

Withdrawal From Course

Students may withdraw from a course through the end of the first two-thirds of the course with approval from the faculty member and program chair. Forms are available from the Registrar’s Office and enrollment counselors. Registration adjustments during the first two weeks of a semester are handled via the add/drop process. Following this period, the charge for processing the course withdrawal is $10.00. The course from which a student withdraws will be graded with a WP (withdrawal while passing), WF (withdrawal while failing), or WA (audit-official withdrawal). Any student who stops attending class without submitting the proper paperwork within the official deadline will receive an F. It is recommended that students meet with their program chair or enrollment counselor prior to course withdrawal.

Withdrawal From University

Students are considered “students on record” until they complete official withdrawal procedures or are notified that they have withdrawn themselves by default. All pertinent school regulations are binding until official withdrawal procedures have been completed or notification has been received from the University of withdrawal by default. The preferred procedure is to complete the University Withdrawal form, which includes an interview with the Program Chair, and submit it to the Business Services Office. However, an oral statement of intent to withdraw from the University made to the Registrar’s Office will also be considered official.

A refund will not be given (see Refund Policy) until the official withdrawal procedures are completed.

Upon official withdrawal from the University, the student’s academic record will show W grades for all courses in progress. Failure to complete the necessary withdrawal procedures results in a final grade of F for all courses. It is recommended that students meet with their program chair or enrollment counselor prior to University withdrawal.

Program Time Limits

Students have eight (8) years from the start date of the first term of attendance to complete all graduation requirements. Requests for extensions due to extraordinary circumstances can be submitted to the Dean/Chair of the student’s School/Department.

Academic Standing

Good Academic Standing

A student is considered to be in good academic standing when his or her cumulative grade point average is 2.50 or above (3.0 for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs).

Probation Status

Students having a cumulative grade point average below 2.50 (3.00 for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs) are subject to academic dismissal. However, the dean of the appropriate school may allow the student to continue and place the student on academic probation for the following semester. Probationary students are limited to two courses (no more than six credits) for the semester during which they are on probation. In order to be removed from probation, students must earn a grade point average of 3.00 or above in the semester during which they are on probation, and have a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or higher (3.00 or higher for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs).

Academic Dismissal

Students whose cumulative grade point average is below the academic minimum at the end of a semester will be subject to academic dismissal and will be notified if dismissal action is taken. The dean of the appropriate school may elect to allow a student to continue and place the student on academic probation.

The minimum requirements are as follows:


Minimum GPA

M.S. in Bible
M.S. in Christian Counseling
M.S. in Education
M.S. in Educational Leadership and Administration
Teacher Certification
M.S. in Organizational Leadership


If extenuating circumstances are present, the student may appeal an academic dismissal decision to the dean of the appropriate school within two weeks of receipt of the dismissal letter.

Transfer Credits

Transfer credit will be awarded for university-level work successfully completed at a CHEA recognized accredited postsecondary institution when appropriate to the student’s degree program. University-level work successfully completed at a non-accredited postsecondary institution and appropriate to the student’s degree program will be evaluated on an individual basis. The following procedures will be used in evaluating and transcripting transfer credit:

  • The Registrar has the responsibility of determining transfer credit.
  • Only courses in which a “C” (2.00) or above has been earned will be evaluated for transfer credit.
  • In evaluating work taken at a postsecondary institution for transfer credit, the following factors will be considered:
    • The content of the course and how well it matches with the content of a course in PBU’s curriculum. The Registrar should consult with the chair of the department in which the course is offered when specific information on course content is needed.
    • The characteristics of the of the institution or agency which awarded the credit (i.e., accredited/non-accredited; domestic/foreign; collegiate, non-collegiate).
    • The characteristics of the credit reported on the transcript (i.e., level/basis of credit).
    • The appropriateness of the credit to the student’s degree program.
    • Credits will be computed from a “quarter hour” system to credit hours by multiplying by 0.67.
  • Transfer credits will be applied to a student’s permanent record after the student has enrolled and official transcripts have been received.
  • PBU course number, title, and hours for which transfer credit is granted will appear on the student’s permanent record, not grades or grade points earned.
  • Courses as noted in the University catalog as being required in residence are not covered by this policy.
  • If a student desires to appeal a decision of the Registrar, appeal should be made to the Provost, not to the faculty or a committee of the faculty.

Transfer Credits After Matriculation

Current students may take a course at another institution to meet a graduation requirement at PBU. However, they must obtain approval prior to enrolling in the course. Prior approval is obtained by submitting a completed Planned Transfer Credit form to the Registrar’s Office.

All transfer credit, including planned transfer credit and credit for prior learning must be completed prior to the semester in which a student will graduate. In addition, official transcripts of this transfer credit and/or other required paperwork must be received by the Registrar’s Office prior to the graduation application deadline for that semester.

Graduation Requirements

The University confers degrees on students who have fulfilled the following conditions:

  1. Completion of one of the graduate programs offered by the University with a grade point average of 2.5 or above. The Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs require a grade point average of 3.00 or above.
  2. Approved Christian character as evidenced by stability, maturity, and cooperation.
  3. Approval of the faculty and Board of Trustees.
  4. Submission of a completed application for graduation.

Academic Grievances

Appeal Process

If a conflict occurs between a student and faculty member, the two parties should make every effort at resolution. If the conflict cannot be resolved, the student may make a written appeal to the chair of the program in which the faculty member serves. In case of a disagreement related to a specific course, the appeal should be made to the chair of the program in which the course is offered. The appeal process may proceed to the dean of the appropriate school and finally to the registrar who will make the final determination in such conflicts. In this process an appeal to the next level must be submitted within two weeks of the written outcome of the previous level of appeal. All appeals must be in writing and include a brief statement of the problem and previous steps to resolve it. All administrative decisions will be sent to the student in writing.

Student Education Records

The student’s academic records are maintained in the Registrar’s Office. Included are GRE scores, college transcripts from transferring institutions, and PBU academic records. Application to the University, recommendations, correspondence, and other admissions documents are kept in a file located in the Admissions Office prior to and during enrollment.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University may disclose education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
    The University considers some information to be directory information that may be disclosed to others without student permission. This includes items such as name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, dates of enrollment, classification, degree(s) received, awards, honors, program of study, previous institutions attended, date and place of birth, participation in activities, height and weight of members of athletic teams, and photographic image of the student. However, if a student does not want this information released, he or she must fill out the Request to Withhold Directory Information form. This form must be filled out each year by October 15 in order for the University to withhold this information.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education (Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20202-5901) concerning alleged failures of Philadelphia Biblical University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.