2004-2005 Graduate Catalog 
    Jul 20, 2024  
2004-2005 Graduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Educational Resources


Masland Learning Resource Center

The Masland Learning Resource Center provides materials and services to students, faculty, staff, and friends of Philadelphia Biblical University. Materials include over 158,000 volumes of books, reference works, periodicals, and materials in other media. The Center houses special collections as well as rare books, and archival materials. Two computer labs are available for use by students. A fully updated teacher education curriculum lab, two conference rooms, and a writing lab provide opportunity for students’ research and review. The Media Services Department is located on the second floor. Audiovisual equipment and support can be found here for classroom and other educational uses.

Five professional librarians and other library staff are available for reference consultation, bibliographic instruction, and other assistance. A valid University ID card provides access to the library. The library catalog, and on-line electronic databases, library hours, staff, and services are listed on the library’s web page (http://www.library.pbu.edu).

Regular library hours for the fall and spring semesters are:

  • Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
  • Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
  • Summer Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, 1:00 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Holiday hours are posted on the library website at the appropriate time.


The bookstore offers students a selection of evangelical Christian publications, and serves students in the purchase of textbooks and school supplies.

Academic Policies



Academic Load


Students in all graduate programs are classified as full-time when enrolled for six (6) credit hours or more during each academic semester, except for the Master of Divinity program which requires nine (9) credit hours for full-time status. Students are classified as part-time when enrolled for less than six (6) credit hours (9 credit hours for the M.Div. program) during each academic semester. Students are classified as less than half-time when enrolled in less than three (3) credit hours (less than 5 credit hours for the M.Div. program) during each academic semester.

Academic Advising/Course Scheduling


Program Chairs and Enrollment Counselors are available to assist students in course planning. However, it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to ensure that all course and program requirements are satisfactorily met. It is recommended that a student contact, by phone or in person, his/her Enrollment Counselor at least once a semester to check on his/her academic progress.

Class Attendance


Regular class attendance is required because it is essential for satisfactory academic performance. Students are responsible for class content and experiences - vital components of course work. Faculty evaluate each student’s record of attendance in determining the student’s final grade. Therefore, each student is expected to attend and be an active member of each class. In the event an absence is unavoidable, it is the student’s responsibility to acquire what was missed in class. The University requires attendance at a minimum of 70 percent of class sessions, whether credit or audit. Professors are free to set attendance requirements higher than the 70 percent established by the University.Check the course syllabus for the applicable class attendance requirement.



Philadelphia Biblical University follows the 4.0 grade point system and requires a 2.5 cumulative grade point average (3.0 for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs) for graduation.

Grade Interpretation Grade points
per semester credit
A Outstanding 4.00
A-   3.67
B+   3.33
B Above Average 3.00
B-   2.67
C+   2.33
C Average 2.00
C-   1.67
D+   1.33
D Below Average 1.00
D-   0.67
F Failing 0
I Incomplete  
CR Credit Granted  
NC No Credit  
W University withdrawal  
WF Course withdrawal while failing  
WP Course withdrawal while passing  
S Satisfactory (in non-credit courses)  
U Unsatisfactory (in non-credit courses)  
AU Audit  
WA Audit-official withdrawal  
IA Audit-insufficient attendance  
NR No grade reported  


Incomplete Grades


An incomplete grade may be issued by a faculty member in lieu of a final grade when course requirements have not been met by the end of the semester. An Incomplete Grade Contract must be completed by the faculty member and signed by the student. If the course remains incomplete after the stipulated deadline, the grade is automatically changed to F (failing). A maximum of 12 weeks will be allowed for completion of course requirements. Removal of an I or NR is the responsibility of the student. No student may graduate with an I or NR in any course.

Withdrawal From Course


Students may withdraw from a course through the end of the tenth week of class with approval from the faculty member and program Chair. Forms are available from the Records Office and Enrollment Counselors. Registration adjustments during the first two weeks of a semester are handled via the add/drop process. Following this period, the charge for processing the course withdrawal is $10.00. Students who withdraw from a course must continue to attend class until they receive official notification that the request has been approved. The course from which a student withdraws will be graded with a WP (withdrawal while passing), WF (withdrawal while failing), or WA (Audit-official withdrawal). Any student who stops attending class without submitting the proper paperwork within the official deadline will receive an F. It is recommended that students meet with their program Chair or Enrollment Counselor prior to course withdrawal.

Withdrawal From University


Students are considered “students on record” until they complete all withdrawal procedures or are notified that they have withdrawn themselves by default. All pertinent school regulations are binding until withdrawal procedures have been completed or notification has been received from the University of withdrawal by default.

Withdrawal will not be official nor will a refund be given (see Refund Policy) until the withdrawal form is properly signed and returned to the Records Office.

Upon official withdrawal from the University, the student’s academic record will show W grades for all courses in progress. Failure to complete the necessary withdrawal procedures results in a final grade of F for all courses.

Academic Standing


Good Academic Standing

A student is considered to be in good academic standing when his or her cumulative grade point average is 2.50 or above (3.0 for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and all teacher certification programs).

Probation Status

Students having a cumulative grade point average below 2.5 (3.00 for Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs) are subject to academic dismissal. The Dean may allow the student to continue and place the student on academic probation for the following semester. Probationary students are limited to two courses (no more than six credits) for the semester during which they are on probation and, and in order to be removed from probation must earn a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 or above in the semester during which they are on probation.

Academic Dismissal

Students whose cumulative grade point average is below the academic minimum at the end of a semester will be subject to academic dismissal and will be notified if dismissal action is taken. The Dean may elect to allow a student to continue and place the student on academic probation.

The minimum requirements are as follows:



Minimum GPA

M.S. in Bible
M.S. in Christian Counseling
M.S. in Education
M.S. in Educational Leadership and Administration
Teacher Certification
M.S. in Organizational Leadership


If extenuating circumstances are present, the student may appeal an academic dismissal decision to the dean of the respective school within two weeks of receipt of the dismissal letter.

Graduation Requirements


The University confers degrees on students who have fulfilled the following conditions:

  1. Completion of one of the graduate programs offered by the University with a grade point average of 2.5 or above. The Christian Counseling, Educational Leadership and Administration, and teacher certification programs require a 3.00 or above.
  2. Approval of the faculty and Board of Trustees.

Academic Grievances


Grievance Procedures

If a conflict occurs between a student and faculty member, the two parties should make every effort at resolution. If the conflict cannot be resolved, the student may make a written appeal to the Chair of the program in which the faculty member serves. In case of a disagreement related to a specific course the appeal should be made to the Chair of the program in which the course is offered. The appeal process may proceed to the Dean of the appropriate school and finally to the Associate Provost for Graduate Education who will make the final determination in such conflicts. In this process an appeal to the next level must be submitted within two weeks of the written outcome of the previous level of appeal. All appeals must be in writing and include a brief statement of the problem and previous steps to resolve it. All administrative decisions will be sent to the student in writing.

Student Education Records


The student’s academic records are maintained in the Records Office. Included are GRE scores, college transcripts from transferring institutions, and PBU academic records. Application to the University, recommendations, correspondence and other admissions documents are kept in a file located in the University Admissions Office prior to and during enrollment.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University may disclose education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. The University considers some information to be directory information that may be disclosed to others without student permission. This includes items such as name, address, telephone number, email address, dates of enrollment, classification, degree(s) received, awards, honors, program of study, previous institutions attended, date and place of birth, participation in activities, height and weight of members of athletic teams, and photographic image of the student. However, if a student does not want this information released, he or she must fill out the Request to Withhold Directory Information form. This form must be filled out each year by October 15 in order for the University to withhold this information.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education (Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave. SW, Washington, DC 20202-5901) concerning alleged failures Philadelphia Biblical University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.